Monday, April 2, 2012

So many tools for Digital Story Telling!

50+ web 2.0 Ways to Tell a Story 
This was such a great resource to see how digital stories can be created using numerous tools. It breaks the process down into three steps:
1) Outline a story
2) Find Media
3) Pick the tool to build your story with
This wiki was what I needed to see how it all comes together. The most interesting part was looking at all the different tools that are available depending on what you are looking for in a digital story.
There were a couple tools that I came across that I has immediate ideas as to how I could use them at school. I really enjoyed exploring VoiceThread.com where I came across this voice thread on bullying.



I love the idea of students taking part in role playing events like these. I know my principal has discussed having an assembly on bullying and this might be a great way to get students involved and to help get the point across.

One other idea I had for Voice Threads were incorporating it into our whole school behavior program where the students can describe what it means to follow the 5 Bees (cooperative, kind, peaceful, respectful, and safe) and perhaps role play such characteristics.

How would you use voice thread in your school/classroom?

One other resource that I found that was most helpful to me in my exploration was Apps for Digital Storytelling.  I have one iPad that I use regularly with my students and I would love to seem them create digital stories using it. I will be looking into the apps to see what might work best.

NETS for teachers: 1 supporting and encouraging students creativity
NETS for students: 1 allowing students to apply background knowledge when using digital tools as well as

2 comments:

  1. Darcie, great example of voice thread! I think we should get together and create one for school. That would be so much fun! I agree that the students would like it and it could make a difference. Our principal would love it. This is the one tool I have not played with yet and am curious about. I will exploring this one tonight. For the iPad app, try animoto. I just found out that they have a mobile app, so they might have one for the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to work on one with you! I think it would be a great experience for us and the kids!

      Delete